UCO Student Programming Board Wins Big at Regional Conference
Oct. 21, 2013
Media Contact: Lindsay Houts, Staff Writer, University Relations, University of Central Oklahoma, 405-974-2121, firstname.lastname@example.org
UCO STUDENT PROGRAMMING BOARD WINS BIG AT REGIONAL CONFERENCE
The National Association for Campus Activities (NACA) recognized the University of Central Oklahoma’s Student Programming Board (SPB) for five outstanding programs and initiatives at its 2013 Regional Conference. Central was nominated alongside more than 50 schools and 100 programs.
“Being recognized by NACA was a tremendous honor for Central’s Student Programming Board. It allowed the university to showcase the great work that our students are doing at Central to schools throughout the region,” said Courtney James, assistant director of Campus Activities at Central and SPB adviser.
“The SPB will continue to innovate and develop programming that not only inspires and excites our students, but that also provides transformative learning experiences,” James added.
Central was recognized with the following awards:
- The Dream Big Award, which recognizes the most innovative program during the 2012-2013 school year, for Central’s on-campus hot air balloon rides. SPB brought the hot air balloon to campus for an afternoon for students, faculty and staff and was part of a larger carnival-style event.
- The Giving Back Award, which recognizes a program that gives students the chance to give back to their community, for “Maddy’s March,” a memorial rally and march for Madison Watts, a Central student who lost her battle with skin cancer in 2013.
- The Best Sustainable Program, which recognizes a program with a focus on “going green,” for Central’s annual Earth Day Festival.
- The Best Community Program, which recognizes a program with the best impact on the surrounding community, for Central’s “WinterGlow,” a 16-year tradition of lighting Old North, Central’s oldest campus building, and holiday festivities.
- Outstanding Social Media Campaign, for the SPB’s use of the #SPBeINVOLVED hashtag, used for all SPB events. Students were encouraged to use the hashtag and get a card punched at events. A full card was redeemable for a T-shirt.
The SPB is a student driven organization that provides quality, entertaining events for the student body while developing leadership.
For more information about UCO’s Student Programming Board, visit www.uco.edu/spb.
Editor’s Note: Download art associated with this release at www.uco.edu/photo/NACA10.13
Cutline (two photos): The University of Central Oklahoma’s Student Programming Board brought home five awards from the 2013 Regional Conference of the National Association for Campus Activities. Among the awards was the Dream Big Award for its April 2013 on-campus hot air balloon rides for students, faculty and staff, and the Best Community Program Award for Central’s annual WinterGlow holiday celebration.