Oct. 2, 2013
Media Contact: Lindsay Houts, Staff Writer, University Relations, University of Central Oklahoma, 405-974-2121, email@example.com
UCO TAKES PART IN THE FIGHT AGAINST BREAST CANCER WITH MONTH OF ACTIVITIES
The University of Central Oklahoma’s Women’s Outreach Center and W.O.M.E.N. (Women Of Many Ethnic Nationalities) will raise breast cancer awareness and funds to support research, prevention, diagnosis, treatment and a cure through a series of campuswide activities during October, National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
“We’ve planned a month full of fun and informative events surrounding breast cancer awareness. This disease affects not only the people who have it, but also their friends, family and loved ones. The goal of this week is to teach the students about the risks, statistics and warning signs,” said Leah Tomlin, president of W.O.M.E.N.
“I hope that the Central community can join together, support the cause and help us raise money for Susan G. Komen for the Cure,” Tomlin continued.
All proceeds raised will benefit Susan G. Komen Central and Western Oklahoma.
Activities for Breast Cancer Awareness Month include:
- Pink Out Soccer Game, 4 p.m. Oct. 4, Tom Thompson Field: Support Broncho soccer as they take on Missouri Western. Attendees are encouraged to wear pink. The event is sponsored by Big Pink Volleyball.
- Pink Out Football Game, 6 p.m. Oct. 5, Wantland Stadium: Support Broncho football as they take on Missouri Western. Attendees are encouraged to wear pink. The event is sponsored by Big Pink Volleyball.
- Paint the Campus Pink, 3 p.m. Oct. 13, Blue Tent at Broncho Lake: W.O.M.E.N. will “paint” Central pink in to honor those lost to breast cancer and those currently fighting the disease.
- “Breast Dressed” Contest, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 14-19, Nigh University Center (NUC), second floor: Bras decorated by UCO offices, departments and student organizations will be on display.
- Pink Week Kickoff, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Oct. 14, Blue Tent at Broncho Lake: Attendees can tie-dye a T-shirt, drink pink lemonade and learn about the risks and treatments for breast cancer.
- Pink Dance-Off, 7-9 p.m. Oct. 15, NUC Ballroom A: Dancers are invited to show off their skills. Prizes will be awarded to the last dancers standing.
- Pink Out Volleyball Game, 7 p.m. Oct. 15, Hamilton Field House: Support UCO volleyball as they take on Southeastern Oklahoma. Attendees are encouraged to wear pink.
- Annual Ladies Health Luncheon, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Oct. 16, NUC Heritage Room: The annual interactive Ladies Health Luncheon will provide information about breast cancer prevention and in-depth information about self-examinations. Attendees will hear from a breast cancer survivor who was diagnosed in her early 30s and learn about her dedication to informing other young women about breast cancer. Lunch will be provided.
- 3-On-3 “Street Ball” Basketball Tournament, 5-11 p.m. Oct. 16, Commons Courtyard: 3-on-3 basketball teams will compete tournament-style.
- Tribute Night, 7-9 p.m. Oct. 17, NUC 202: Attendees will pay tribute to those who have lost their battle with breast cancer with stories, poems and a balloon release. Light refreshments will be served. Donations raised during the month of October will be presented to Susan G. Komen for the Cure.
For more information, visit www.uco.edu/breastcancerawareness, or contact the Women’s Outreach Center at 405-974-3626, or firstname.lastname@example.org.