The Office of Greek Life at the University of Central Oklahoma

Accommodation Policy for Public Access to Private Events

 I.      STATEMENT OF PURPOSE: It is the policy of the University of Central Oklahoma (UCO) that all campus events opened to the public are accessible to attendees with disabilities, in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, and equivalent state and federal laws.

II.     CAMPUS CONTACT: All questions concerning this policy should be referred to the Disability Support Services Office, Nigh University Center Room 309, (405) 974-2516.

III.    DEFINITION: Public events are events that are open to community members who are not students or employees of the campus. Such events include, but are not limited to, theatre and music performances, athletic events and camps, gallery exhibits, seminars and colloquiums, and graduation ceremonies.

IV.     DISSEMINATION: Materials announcing public events should state that the event is accessible, and that special accommodations may be made for people with disabilities. Announcements of public events and syllabi should include a statement similar to this:

 Wording for syllabi:

"The University of Central Oklahoma complies with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the American with Disabilities Act of 1990. Students with disabilities who need special accommodations must make their requests by contacting Disability Support Services, at (405) 974-2516.  The DSS Office is located in the Nigh University Center, Room 309. Students should also notify the instructor of special accommodation needs by the end of the first week of class."

Wording for public events: 

“Persons who, because of a special need or condition, would like to request an accommodation should contact the Disability Support Services Assistant Director at (405) 974-2516 as soon as possible, but no later than 72 hours before the event, so that appropriate arrangements can be made.” 

Wording for non-events (brochures etc.) 

“The University of Central Oklahoma complies with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act. Students with disabilities who wish special accommodations should make their request to the Assistant Director of Disability Support Services at (405) 974-2516.”

V.      FUNDING: The sponsor of the event is responsible for receiving requests for access accommodations, and for arranging for funding of disability accommodations. Advice and assistance may be requested from the Disability Support Services Office, Office of Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Facilities Management, and Parking.

VI.     OTHER COMPLAINTS: This policy also does not prohibit a timely filing of an ADA or discrimination complaint with the appropriate external governmental agency (OCR, EEOC, DFEH, etc.)

VII.      RETALIATION: Retaliation against an event participant for filing a disability accommodation request, or for filing a complaint or an appeal with the Office of Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, is prohibited.



Contact Us

    Office of Disability Support Services
  • 100 N. University Drive Box 144
  • Edmond, OK 73034
  • Phone: (405) 974.2516
    Fax: (405) 974.3894
  • Student Affairs
  • (405) 974-2361